The Amazing Race Canada 5
|The Amazing Race Canada 5|
|First Aired||July 4 - September 12, 2017|
|Filmed||April 26 – May 24, 2017|
|No. of Episodes||11|
|Winners||Sam Lambert &|
|Distance Traveled||47,800 km (28,700 miles)|
|No. of Legs||11|
|Season 4 ◄ Season 5|
|1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8 · 9 · 10 · 11|
The Amazing Race Canada 5 is a Canadian reality game show based on the American series The Amazing Race. It features ten teams of two, each with a pre-existing relationship. The grand prize is CA$500,000 and includes: a CA$250,000 cash payout, a "once-in-a-lifetime" trip for two around the world, and a 2018 Chevrolet Equinox "True North Edition" for each. Jon Montgomery returned as the host.
Dating couple Sam & Paul were the winners of this season of The Amazing Race Canada.
On October 12, 2016, CTV announced that the show was renewed for the fifth season.
This season will feature the addition of several real-time interactive features during the airing of each episode, including trivia, polls, and a national leaderboard. Additionally, viewers will be able to explore locations seen throughout the race through virtual 360 degree views, including this season's starting line: Signal Hill National Historic Site in St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador.
To mark the occasion of 2017 being the 150th anniversary of the Confederation of Canada, many legs will feature a specially-themed task that is identified as such.
According to executive producer John Brunton, an overseas visit to Kenya was originally planned, but was scrapped due to safety concerns.
Trip sponsor Hotels.com, outerwear sponsor Mountain Equipment Co-op, and Mentos discontinued their sponsorship, Chevrolet continued sponsoring the show along with multiple previous seasons' sponsor, Bank of Montreal. New sponsors for this season are trip sponsor Sinorama, Canadian Tire's Woods brand as outerwear sponsor, and the Campbell Soup Company.
For the first time in Race history, a total of three Express Passes were handed out to teams. In another race first, they were hidden on the Roadblock site of the second leg, and teams could pick up as many as they could find. However, they could only use one and had to give any others that they found to other teams.
Similar to previous seasons, a special season-end reunion/recap again titled After The Race, again hosted by the cast of The Social, aired immediately after the season finale with all 20 contestants present to review the season as a whole.
Provinces, Territories and Countries visited
|Previous Visits||Pit Stops|
|1, 7, 8||Newfoundland and Labrador||1||1|
|1, 2, 3, 4||British Columbia||4||2|
|6, 7, 10, 11||Ontario||4||1|
Casting began on October 12, 2016, and as in the previous four seasons, an online site was used for submission of applications and audition videos. Casting closed on December 1, 2016.
The following teams participated in the Race, with their relationships at the time of filming. Note that this table is not necessarily reflective of all content broadcast on television due to inclusion or exclusion of some data.
|Team||Relationship||Position (by leg)||Roadblocks|
|Sam & Paul||Dating Couple||4th||3rd||4th||1st||3rd||2nd⊃||1st||1st||1st⊂||1st||1st||Sam 6, Paul 5|
|Kenneth & Ryan||Best Friends||1st||5th||6thε3||4th||4th||5th⊂||2nd||2nd||2nd⊃||3rd||2nd||Kenneth 6, Ryan 5|
|Korey & Ivana||Best Friends||2nd||8th||2nd||6th||6th||3rd⋑||5th||4th||4th⋑||2nd||3rd||Korey 5, Ivana 6|
|Karen & Bert||Married Couple||6th||4th||5thə2||5th||5th||4th||4th||5th||3rd||4th−||Karen 5, Bert 4|
|Adam & Andrea||Brother/Sister||3rd||7th||3rd||3rd||1stƒ||1st||3rd||3rd||5th⋐||Adam 4, Andrea 4|
|Andrea & Ebonie||Business Partners||7th1||2nd||7th||7th||2nd||6th⋐||6th−||Andrea 3, Ebonie 3|
|Zed & Shabbir||Father/Son||5th||6th||1st||2nd||7th||Zed 1, Shabbir 3|
|Megan & Courtney||Cousins||9th||1st||8th||Megan 2, Courtney 1|
|Dan & Riya||YouTube Creators||8th||9th||Dan 1, Riya 1|
|Aaron & Deb||Mother/Son||10th||Aaron 0, Deb 1|
- A red team placement means the team was eliminated.
- An underlined blue team's placement indicates that the team came in last on a non-elimination leg and would have to perform a Speed Bump on the following leg.
- A green ƒ indicates that the team won a Fast Forward clue. If placed next to a Leg number, this indicates that the Fast Forward was available for that Leg but not used.
- A purple ε indicates that the team decided to use the first Express Pass on that leg; if next to a leg number, it indicates that the team with the first Express Pass was eliminated on that Leg without ever having used it. A magenta ə indicates the team had previously been given the second or third Express Pass and used it on that leg.
- A brown ⊃ or a cyan ⋑ indicates that the team chose to use one of the two U-Turns in a Double U-Turn; ⊂ or ⋐ indicates the team who received it. ⊂⋑ around a leg number indicates that neither of the two available U-Turns in a Double U-Turn were used.
- An orange + indicates that there was a Face Off on this leg of the race, while an orange − indicates the team that lost the Face Off and received a 15-minute penalty.
- An underlined leg number indicates that there was no mandatory rest period at the Pit Stop and all teams were ordered to continue racing. The first place team was still awarded a prize for that leg.
- Andrea & Ebonie initially arrived 2nd, but were issued a 2-hour penalty for failing to complete the morse code challenge. As they were waiting out their penalty, Korey & Ivana, Adam & Andrea, Sam & Paul, Zed & Shabbir and Karen & Bert checked in, dropping them to 7th place.
- Karen & Bert used the Express Pass given to them by Kenneth & Ryan to bypass the coffee delivery task.
- Kenneth & Ryan used their Express Pass to bypass the Strike It Detour.
Episode Title Quotes
- "Who Wants to Be the Python?" – Kenneth
- "You've Got to Leave My Hose Alone Dude!" – Ryan
- "It's Like Ducks In the Forest" – Korey
- "This Is a Butt Workout" – Ebonie
- "This Is a Real Cat and Mouse Chase" – Shabbir
- "We Just Saw Johnny Mustard" – Kenneth
- "Break Time For Korey" – Ivana
- "Can I See Your Kuna?" – Korey
- "It's Like Finding Waldo In a Bunch of Waldos" – Andrea (of Adam & Andrea)
- "They're Crawling On You" – Ivana
- "Canada's Coming Together Like a Piece of Cake" – Kenneth
- Leg 1 – A trip for two to Barcelona, Spain.
- Leg 2 - A trip for two to Auckland, New Zealand.
- Leg 3 - A trip for two to Chicago, Illinois.
- Leg 4 - A trip for two to China.
- Leg 5 - A trip for two to Bangkok, Thailand and China.
- Leg 6 - A 5-city cross-Canada trip.
- Leg 7 - A trip tor two to Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
- Leg 8 - A trip for two to New Orleans, Louisiana.
- Leg 9 - A trip for two to Costa Rica.
- Leg 10 - A trip for two to Cape Town, South Africa.
- Leg 11 - A CA$250,000 cash payout, a "once-in-a-lifetime" trip for two around the world, and a 2018 Chevrolet Equinox "True North Edition" for each team member.
|The Amazing Race Canada 5|
|Legs||1 • 2 • 3 • 4 • 5 • 6 • 7 • 8 • 9 • 10 • 11|
|Countries||Canada • China • Thailand • Panama|
|Teams||Aaron & Deb • Adam & Andrea • Andrea & Ebonie • Dan & Riya • Karen & Bert • Kenneth & Ryan • Korey & Ivana • Megan & Courtney • Sam & Paul • Zed & Shabbir|